Saturday, September 27, 2008

Comics for the week of September 22, 2008

Yes, I know I'm running behind to an almost Millerian degree. In my defense, I had some very pressing video games and sleeping to attend to. But now that's all done with and I've got my hands on my singles, so it's time to do last Monday's post and, um, anticipate them. The comics. Which I have already bought. I'm confused.

This was a pretty poor week for singles:
All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder #10. Oh, Frankie dearest, you complete me.
Ambush Bug: Year None #3. Here's hoping it's beter than last month's issue, which I feel can be fairly characterized as "wack."
Blue Beetle #31. Criswell predicts: consistently fun book remains consistently fun! Future reviews such as this will affect you in the future!
Hellboy: The Crooked Man #3. I have no one but myself to blame for it, but I'm still bitter about the climactic moment of my most looked-forward-to book of the week being spoiled in nearly every review. To be fair, I don't think I would be able to resist the temptation either, but in case anyone is even less on the ball than myself and hasn't picked it up yet, let's just say it involves the Prince of Darkness and a gardening implement and good ol' country Violence.
Hulk #6. This is going into the Shitbin with Gotham Underground, Checkmate et al for extensive discussion later on. DOESN'T THAT SOUND EXCITING?
Superman/Batman #52. So on the one hand, last month's issue was kind of a head-scratcher as the Green/Johnson team threw up their hands, said "fuck it, let's bring on Super JLA Kawaii Team Love Beat GO!!" because apparently they have nothing better to do with this alleged showcase title than cater to scans_daily and the sort of people who type (or, god forbid, say) "squee!". On the other hand, Rafael Albuquerque is manning the pencils, and it really is kinda adorable. SO CONFLICTED
Wolverine: First Class #7. You could've knocked me over with a feather when this proved (with the exception of the two-part High Evolutionary/Mount Wundagore story) to be far better than the declining X-Men: First Class, even more so when Van Lente turned in a Sabretooth story that was actually worth reading for the first time in- shit, the first time ever as far as I'm aware. So yeah, getting this. (On a related note, Weapon X: First Class? What the HELL yo?)

Things were slightly better in trades:
Absolute Ronin. I like Ronin, but do I $100 like it? No. No I do not. You might, though. Who's to say?
Batman: Black and White Vol. 3. Some really fantastic writers and artists in this volume, and it includes one of my all-time favorite Batman shorts in Paul Pope's "Broken Nose." Gettin'!
The Complete Peanuts Vol. 10 (1969-1970). I'm waiting for this to be collected into the next slipcased three-book set (and for me to catch up to them; I'm six volumes in at the moment) but I think it's fair to assume this will be quality stuff. Call it a hunch.
Kingdom Come (new edition). I'm not buying this- God, no- but is it just me or does DC publish a new edition of Kingdom Come at least bimonthly? This one features a fancy-ass new gatefold cover, though, so if you liked the idea of Kingdom Come but thought it just wasn't enough like Tales From Topographic Oceans, then son, THIS BOOK'S FOR YOU.
Marvel Boy Premiere Hardcover. Marvel must have their own definition of "premiere" that I was not previously aware of, unless they mean "first time in a slightly stiffer and much more expensive format," in which case fair play to them. This is a reprint of a trade I was never able to track down at a sane price and fixes that book's splash-page problems, though, so I can't be too bitter.
Red Rocket 7 (Image edition). Speaking of reprints, as part of their expanding Mike Allred library, Image are reprinting this original graphic novel originally released on Dark Horse. Assuming it actually comes out on time, unlike the second Amazing Joy Buzzards collection, or the first Madman Atomic Comics trade, or comes out at all, unlike their promised Stray Toasters reprint or the second collection of Casanova.

That's it for now. See you after a reasonable interval, swear to god, for two weeks of reviews, and for Monday's shipping list post.

No comments: