Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Introductions are in order

It was going to be simple, at first.

Originally, this was going to be a series of short (but hateful) posts on scans_daily or I Love Comics or somewhere annotating Gotham Underground- annotating it with wholesome, dairy-fresh spite. I've since discovered that I have even more un-asked for opinions about comics, opinions desperately in need of a deep, dark hole to be dumped into, never to be heard from again. Opinions desperately in need of a blog. I have heard their cries in the night and have taken upon myself this monumental task, and after a brief consultation with my friend Aaron decided to call it "You Don't Know From Hurt," a title which ably communicates these important facts:


  • Hey, kids! Comics!

  • Some comics are very bad, and they hurt. Which you do not know, not really. Because you are, in the immortal words of the Bard, a "wad." Do not be upset, it is not your fault.

  • I do know from hurt. I will be using my powers for good by, every now and then, writing up exhaustive* annotations for some of the worst comics being published today. You know the ones. Gotham Underground. Bruce Jones's Checkmate. Judd Winick's Titans. If you and I are lucky, they may even be funny. You never know!

  • All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder. Hoo boy. It's kind of one of those "bad comics," and kind of not. It is complicated, like my feelings for you, the reader.



And also, per Aaron's sage advice, it's much less embarrassing to say "I write a comics blog, it's called You Don't Know From Hurt" than it is to say "Yeah, I write Batman Balls Nasty."

But it won't just be boring old vitriol, day in and day out. There will be all the standard comic-blog accoutrements, like weekly pull list reviews, opinion pieces, and links to stimulating writing from across the blogamajig by folks much more insightful than myself. Look! There goes one now!

It's not that I don't love comics- I do, deeply and truly- I just like swearing at bad ones in a semi-public forum. Like a filth-encrusted hobo shouting obscenities on a streetcorner, only slightly more opinionated about Ambush Bug.

Now take my hand, gentle reader, and come with me as we traipse together through the lilac-strewn field of wonderment that is: COMICS



*by which I mean cruel and hurtful

No comments: